Vinegar-Braised Chicken And Mushroomschalc3d0ny
While it’s easy to fall into a rut and cook the same thing over and over again, we really try to push ourselves when it comes to coming up with new and flavorful recipes that keep us from getting tired of any one thing: in this case, chicken. We make it all the time, but this balsamic vinegar reduction and the perfectly sauteed veggies make this chicken dish a new favorite….it’s got a rich flavor and it’s perfect at any time of year!
Vinegar-Braised Chicken And Mushrooms
- 4 pounds assorted bone-in, skin on chicken pieces (breasts and thighs)
- 2 pounds mushrooms (cremini, white, or baby bella), cleaned of any dirt or particles
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped (could use baby carrots)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Season both sides of chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and, in batches, brown chicken on all sides, then transfer to a separate plate and set aside.
- Reserving 2-3 tablespoons, drain off fat and saute carrots and onions until tender. About 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 6-8 minutes, or until softened, then add crushed garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Season everything with salt and pepper, then transfer vegetables (discarding garlic) to the plate with the chicken.
- Sprinkle flour into the Dutch oven and cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking continuously, until pasty and smooth.
- Pour in the vinegars and whisk until smooth. Cook mixture for 3-5 minutes, or until thickened and reduced, then slowly mix in chicken broth.
- Return chicken to pot and add bay leaf, then bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover your pot and let simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Return vegetables to Dutch oven and serve with reduced sauce.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit